Ed Catmull Comes to BYU!

Ed Catmull, founder and head of Pixar and Disney animation, came to speak to us this last tuesday. This was big. Like Willy Wonka stepping out of the Chocolate factory. He has two studios to run, several films to oversee, not mention a family and he just doesn't have time to come out and talk to colleges like this, so pretty much everyone and their Cars and stuffed Pixar characters came out to to see him, including several local news channels.
Check out the Channel 5 KSL news report: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2950565
And the Salt Lake Tribune:
http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_8725992
Excerpts:
"All of a sudden in the last few years, BYU has risen to the top," Catmull said. "They're smart about what they do, and the students that come out of it are really good."
"BYU has an extraordinary program here. They pay a lot of attention to what is going on in the areas of the entertainment industry, listen carefully, smart about what they do, and the students are really good that are coming out of here. They combine the technical and the artistic together, and so the students have that really great blend." Catmull said.
How cool is that!! We're #1!! We're #1!!
Even cooler:
After he spoke to us a big screen dropped down behind him on stage and they announced to nearly a thousand people packed into the Dejong Concert Hall that they were going to show the premiere of BYU's latest animation, "Pajama Gladiator"!

Everyone gasped! There was excitement in the air. I didn't even know they were going to do this or that the film was even done yet. I'd seen rough cuts of it from a few months ago but they weren't very good, everything was slapped together and the temp sound and music were awful. So I was actually pretty nervous. As the lights went down and the movie started, my fingers were firmly crossed. With a BOOM the newly composed music kicked in, and I got goosebumps. It looked and sounded amazing! After slaving away for 2 years on this project I got to see the finished product for the first time and it was good! I couldn't believe it, everyone was blown away! I was up in the very last row at the very top of the theater grinning like an idiot and thinking to myself "I DID THAT!!"
At the end as the credits rolled everyone cheered and applauded. I saw my name come up on screen and almost yelled "THAT'S ME!!" Hahaha.It was surreal. I didn't say anything though. I wanted to stay somewhat incognito so I could hear people's honest reactions afterwards as they talked amongst themselves. They were all really positive, everyone was laughing and cheering. BYU's board members on stage were clearly impressed. They got up and told Dr. Catmull over the microphone, I think you know who to hire for your next film! As I was walking out of the theater i noticed the big grins on everyones faces and people laughing. Some were trying to reenact their favorite parts of the movie to their friends like kids trying to show how an airplane flies with their hands. Others mentioned how glad they were to finally get to see one of our animations. It was really fun and I'm glad we were able to show everyone and the news, especially Ed Catmull! I hope he listens to the board members and hires us all!
Wow I hope I get to have that kind of experience again. Incredible.
Finally, after his press conference, the animation program got to meet with Ed alone for a very informative question and answer period. All I wanted to ask was if he was going to hire me or not. haha
but seriously are you??? I'll fly back with you, how big is your suitcase? TAKE ME WITH YOU!!
:)




Mom and Dad
Mike and Kathy
Dave and Annie
Mark and Amanda
2 comments:
WOW DOUG! That is some awesome stuff! Your hard work is paying off! Good work! I hope you get the job of your dreams-you deserve it :) Keep us updated :)
Doug!! That is SO super cool!
Sorry to hear about your XBox. Bryton's has been messed up since October. We have requested a box, but still haven't received it. :(
Post a Comment